Invisalign® Braces in Alexandria, VA
For those seeking a discreet way to align their teeth, we offer Invisalign® braces as part of our cosmetic dentistry services. Our dentist, Dr. Mullaney, has provided Invisalign® treatment to patients for over 15 years and can help you achieve the smile you’ve always dreamed of.
Find out what Invisalign® is and how the treatment works here.
What Is Invisalign®?
Invisalign® is an orthodontic treatment that gradually straightens your teeth without metal or wires.
Using a series of clear, removable aligners, Invisalign® is similar to braces in that it actively shifts your teeth into the proper position. However, many patients prefer Invisalign® aligners because they’re virtually invisible when worn.
How Does Invisalign® Work?
The Invisalign® process begins with Dr. Mullaney taking digital impressions of your mouth and using a 3-D computer imaging technology to plan a treatment program that will give you the best results. Once the aligners arrive at our office, you’re ready to start the straightening process.
Invisalign® must be worn 20-22 hours a day and should only be taken out to eat or drink anything other than water. Depending on your case, you’ll need to switch to a new set of aligners every one to two weeks. Each set is slightly different and designed to move your teeth in increments.
Invisalign® can treat various orthodontic concerns, including:
- Misaligned teeth
- Overbites and underbites
- Crossbites or open bites
- Spacing between teeth
How Long Does Invisalign® Take?
The short answer is that it varies. Patients may complete treatment in under six months, while others exceed a year. Treatment length generally depends on case severity and whether you wear your aligners for the suggested time.
Dr. Mullaney can give you an idea of how long Invisalign® treatment will take during your initial consultation.
Can You Get Invisalign® without a Dentist?
No. Invisalign® isn’t direct-to-consumer, which means you must see a dentist or orthodontist to be treated with Invisalign® braces.
During treatment, you’ll also need to visit our Alexandria dental office at least once every six weeks. This allows Dr. Mullaney to measure your progress and adjust the program as necessary.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign®?
- Discreet appearance – Invisalign® is made of clear plastic that’s custom-fit to your teeth. Most people won’t even know you’re wearing them.
- Improved oral health – The ability to remove your aligners when brushing and flossing allows you to reach areas you can’t with traditional braces.
- Eat the foods you want – Unlike braces, you can remove Invisalign® and eat anything you’d like.
- More comfortable than braces – Invisalign® fits snugly around your teeth, and there are no sharp metal pieces that poke at your cheeks or gums. They also apply gentler pressure to the teeth than braces.
- Shorter treatment time – By following the instructions given to you by Dr. Mullaney, you can expect a shorter treatment time than traditional braces since there are no brackets that can break and slow down the process.
Invisalign® Treatment in Alexandria, VA
Invisalign® is ideal for most people, from young adults to busy professionals looking for a discreet straightening option.