Meet Dr Mullaney
One of the most respected and sought-after dentists in Alexandria, Virginia.
For Dr. Mullaney, being a dentist embodies what she’s all about: her passion for service, for improving every patient’s smile, for caring for her family and for giving back to the community.
Growing up, Dr. Mullaney always knew she wanted to be in the health care profession. While an undergraduate at the University of Pittsburgh, she volunteered many hours in a dental clinic and found her true calling.
After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh in 1983, Dr. Mullaney entered the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) Dental School in Richmond, Virginia. In 1987, Dr. Mullaney graduated MCV with a D.D.S. – Doctorate of Dental Surgery degree—and then proudly served as a United States Navy Dentist.
In the Navy, Dr. Mullaney’s first tour of duty was in San Diego, California. She applied for and was accepted into a comprehensive and challenging (plus competitive) one-year general practice residency at the Naval Hospital. Doctor (also Lieutenant Commander) Mullaney later completed a five-year period of active duty as a Navy Dentist, highlighted by an exchange tour with the U.S. Marine Corps at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.
Entering private practice, Dr. Mullaney happily settled in Old Town Alexandria. Since then, she eagerly keeps up with, gently treats, and greatly cares for her beloved patients. Beyond her own dental practice, Dr. Mullaney enjoys living in Old Town—it’s where she resides along with her husband, Mark, and their two daughters.
Dr. Mullaney is grateful for this proximity. She can carve out time away from the office for continuing professional education. Dr. Mullaney has dedicated herself to life-long learning in the dental profession, so she can deliver to her patients the most up-to-date procedures, practices, and technologies available.
Notably, Dr. Mullaney has:
- Accomplished over 1,000 hours of continuing dental education and successfully completed a comprehensive 400-question examination, earning the prestigious Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry (a general dentist who earns the FAGD is recognized as a leader and example to other dentists of the importance of quality continuing education for dental care).
- She’s completed 5 post-graduate level courses at the Dawson Center for Advanced Study, a recognized dental institute.
- She’s also participated in numerous highly specialized courses through the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry and the Hornbrook Group Center for Advanced Clinical Education with hands-on instruction from some of the pre-eminent cosmetic dentists in the world. She’s involved in the Alexandria Chapter of the Seattle Study Club. Members are devoted to the advancement of team treatment planning and total case management.
- Dr. Mullaney works tirelessly for her patients—accolades remain an afterthought. Still, for every year since 2004, Dr. Mullaney earned “America’s Top Dentists Award” from the Consumers Research Council of America. And each year since 2015, the publication “Northern Virginia Magazine” cited Dr. Mullaney as one of the “Top Dentists” in this area. Another accolade recently added, was being named Top Dentist by “Washingtonian Magazine” three years in a row. These awards are especially meaningful, as her peer group – fellow dentists in the region – selected Dr. Mullaney for recognition.
- Where it does matter most for Dr. Mullaney, though, is her patients. She’s grateful for enduring patient loyalty, and truly values their continuing feedback: whether in-person, via social media, or gracious “word of mouth” that results in patient referrals.
- Relaxing with family is Dr. Mullaney’s favorite choice for free time. Dr. Mullaney enjoys seeing both of her daughters excel, one in college and the other in high school.
- Dr. Mullaney enjoys working out in Old Town as well as the occasional golf and tennis with her husband Mark.
- Dr. Mullaney loves to travel. Most recently, she and her family traveled to various spots in Italy. At home, a favorite Mullaney family activity is walking to a local restaurant in Old Town or enjoying the waterfront.
As Seen In:
- Dr. Mullaney was a guest expert in the Academy of General Dentistry’s monthly magazine discussing the ever increasing “Juuling” trend. Check out the article here.
- Dr. Mullaney has also been featured in the Washingtonian. Check out the article here.
- Dr. Mullaney was featured on WJLA ABC 7 Salutes for her work with Freedom Day USA – See the video here.