Porcelain Veneers in Alexandria, VA
Having straight, white teeth is a goal for many, but correcting multiple imperfections can be time-consuming and expensive. Porcelain veneers are a quick and effective alternative that will give you the smile of your dreams in just a few dental visits.
Dr. Kathleen Mullaney, DDS, offers porcelain veneers in Alexandria, VA. Our qualified dentist can evaluate your case and tell you if you’re a good candidate. Learn how veneers work here.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are thin porcelain shells that cover your teeth, correcting their appearance, alignment, or shape. They’re a popular option for patients with chipped, missing, or cracked teeth — though they can also fix other cosmetic dentistry issues!
Who Is a Candidate for Veneers?
Those free of cavities, gingivitis, or broken teeth are the best candidates for porcelain veneers. No dentist can place veneers on unhealthy teeth or gums. However, treating these problems will make you the perfect candidate.
Additionally, if you grind or clench your teeth, you might want to wear a night guard to protect your veneers from damage.
How Do Porcelain Veneers Work?
Getting porcelain veneers doesn’t happen overnight. It typically requires a few visits to our office. Here’s how the process works:
- Consultation – Your first visit is the planning phase. You’ll speak with Dr. Mullaney about the results you want. She’ll assess your teeth and determine whether or not you’re eligible for veneers.
- Dental Wax-Up – Dr. Mullaney will work with her lab to create a wax-up before any work is started; this allows her to design long-lasting veneers based on your unique bite. It also ensures your teeth are in the right occlusion, so the porcelain doesn’t prematurely break. You’ll also get a glimpse at your new smile.
- Preparation – At your next visit, Dr. Mullaney will prepare your teeth for the veneers; this involves reshaping so that when she applies them, they’re the same size and thickness as your natural teeth. She’ll take impressions of your teeth and send them to a local lab to create your porcelain veneers.
- Bonding – Dr. Mullaney starts by thoroughly cleaning your teeth. Then, after confirming the fit and color are consistent, she’ll adhere to veneers to your teeth using a special cement that solidifies with ultraviolet light.
- Follow-Up – After one to two weeks, you’ll revisit our office so we can take care of any potential adjustments or concerns. Getting used to your veneers once they’re out can take some time, as the shape and feel will differ from what you’re used to.
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
Porcelain veneers can last between 15 to 25 years with the proper care. So, as long as you continue your regular brushing, flossing, and cleaning visits, you shouldn’t experience any issues.
While unlikely, if a veneer falls off, contact our dental office as soon as possible so we can reattach it at your earliest convenience.
Do Porcelain Veneers Look Natural?
Yes, porcelain veneers look like your regular teeth! The combination of Dr. Mullaney’s experience and the modern technology she uses results in veneers that are not only beautiful but also natural-looking. Plus, they look more authentic than composite veneers or dental bonding.
Are Veneers Reversible?
No, porcelain veneers aren’t reversible because the process involves removing a thin layer of your tooth enamel. You’ll still have your regular teeth underneath each veneer, but they won’t look like they once did.
Rest assured — we’ll design the porcelain veneers to your specific smile goals.
Contact Our Cosmetic Dentist in Alexandria, VA
Are you ready to reinvent your smile? Dr. Kathleen Mullaney, DDS, is proud to be one of Alexandria’s top cosmetic dentistry providers.
Contact us or call 240-532-3335 to schedule an appointment today and see if porcelain veneers are right for you.