Believe me it is hard to keep up with all the things our kids face on a daily basis! The other day I was reading one of my dental journals and they were discussing “Juuling”- I had no idea what this was and was surprised to learn it is a new form of vaping. The problem with “Juuling” is that it typically has twice the amount of nicotine than similar devices.
- Studies indicate that nicotine does cause recession of the gums. Because it reduces that blood flow that passes through the veins, nicotine helps to deprive the gums of crucial nutrients and oxygen necessary for optimal health. Over time, that can cause gum tissue to wither and die.
- There is also evidence that nicotine can be a contributing factor in conditions like periodontitis and gingivitis..
- Dentists have also complained that nicotine delivery via vaping may be masking many of the symptoms that they would otherwise use to identify the presence of gum disease in their patients. That’s due to that reduced flow of blood and the fact that gum disease’s most obvious symptom is the increased presence of blood in the gums. By suppressing that symptom, some patients may not get the early detection they need.
- Nicotine has also been identified as a muscle stimulant, which can cause teeth grinders to intensify that harmful activity.
- Although not necessarily relevant to oral hygiene, smoking is obviously related to coughing, known as smokers cough.
Studies are also showing that “Juuling” is more addictive when started at an early age. We suggest talking to your kids about this new trend and we would be happy to address any concerns you may have- just give us a call!
Royal wedding buzz is in full force with the upcoming nuptials of Harry and Meghan! What are we hearing in our office, I want a smile like Meghan’s! Everyone is fascinated with her beautiful natural smile, perfect color, shape and sized teeth- just sheer perfection. So how do you go about creating this fabulous smile? Finding a skilled cosmetic dentist, like Dr. Mullaney, is the first step.
A smile is a unique expression of a person. There are a lot of factors that will affect how the final results will look. Dr. Mullaney can give you a stunning smile, but whether or not it will look exactly like Meghan’s depends on a lot of things- some of them include:
- Your face shape
- Your jawbone structure
- Your gumline
- The condition of your teeth
- Your lip shape
Your smile is much more than the shape and color of your teeth.
So how do you get to a beautiful Meghan like smile? There are several things that may be considered to get you to your perfect smile, for example, you may need orthodontic treatment, do you have teeth that need to be replaced, are your teeth uneven? These are all things Dr. Mullaney will discuss with you in the planning of your perfect smile.
We would love to discuss your smile and how we can enhance it- call our office now to schedule an appointment with one of the areas premier cosmetic dentists. 703-835-9251
LET’S GO CAPS!! Another playoff season is upon us in the DC area as the Cap’s battle for the Stanley Cup. Alex Ovechkin lost his front tooth to a high stick he took in a game against the Atlanta Thrashers in 2007- hopefully no teeth will be lost in this series with any players. How do these guys protect their teeth, with a sports guard! Now these guards can’t prevent all accidents but it is the best way to try and keep your teeth safe while playing sports. Another type of guard that people don’t give much though to is a night guard. So many of us in the area have stressful jobs, horrible commutes etc and were does this stress come out- night time grinding of your teeth. Most people don’t even know they are grinding at night, some people have symptoms of jaw pain or headaches when they wake up in the morning but don’t really know why. We can see many signs of grinding when you come in for your visits. A guard made specifically for night time grinding is a must if you want to save your teeth from this wear, just like athletes use them to save their teeth from sports accidents. We would be happy to review the benefits of our guard at your next visit! Call us NOW for an appointment- 703-548-8584- you will be glad you did and so will your teeth!